Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Knitting Circle


Knitting and novels about knitting are the hot trend right now. There are more new fiction books about knitting than I ever thought possible. I know - I have several of them. The Knitting Circle, by Ann Hood is the first knitting novel I've read so far and I was not disappointed. If you are a knitter - you will enjoy this book & if you have never picked up a ball of yarn in your life - you will love this book!

After the suddenly, unexpected death of her 5 year old daughter, Mary Baxter's world is torn apart. Though at first she refuses to start knitting as her distant mother has suggested, Mary does find her way into the Sit & Knit - a yarn shop with a knitting circle. Mary feels at ease among these strangers as she learns the basics of the stitches and starts making a scarf. They don't know her past and her problems and she doesn't know theirs. And that works for Mary.

However, as she becomes a "regular" and is knitting sweaters and socks and hats, the lives of these other women (and men) are shown. The different reasons they all started knitting, their stories of grief, strength, sadness, and celebration unfurl into a blanket of support and love. As one of the characters says, "You knit to save your life."

The story of friendship and support is overwhelming. As I read this book I caught myself tearing up at times while laughing at others. I, too, learned to knit to save my life. I had always wanted to knit in order to make blankets for Project Linus. But I'd make excuses. Lame excuses too: that's an old lady thing to do, I'll look stupid carrying yarn and needles, how could that possibly be fun. A friend sat me down and showed me how to knit and purl when I was in the midst of a depression. And just focusing on those stitches and the desire to make them come out perfectly really did lift my spirits. It's a calming, repetitive, and soothing process. And once you know the basics you can create anything!

Knitting with a group is another level. All over the country, for centuries, women have come together to knit and sew. It's a different kind of bond created than going to coffee with a friend. You come in with nothing but yourself and your issues; you leave with a calm spirit and something that you created - a finished product! And I completely understand it now! This novel, The Knitting Circle, captures it exactly.

1 comment: